The Slayer Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research

Go down 
+5
titchy grenwall
Sandy
Dunebell
Villiama
Olmara
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Olmara
Molanisk
Olmara

Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research Empty
PostSubject: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Okay, this might be a bit of an odd request.

Tl;dr - I'm looking to interview people for some research I'm doing on online gaming and identity/social identity.

I'm looking to talk to people, fairly informally, about their experiences playing RuneScape. Details below. This can either be done verbally on Skype, instant-message on Skype, or via the RuneScape in-game chat. I'm happy with all of these options, so please let me know your preference.

If you would like to help me out with this it would be SO appreciated! I have to conduct these within the next week (preferably within the next few days) because I'm on a tight schedule..
If you are interested, please PM me in-game/post on this thread/message me however you can - let me know your available day/times. (I can be on basically whenever)

Here is a copy of what the participant information sheet contains:

Identity through play: A case study of the MMORPG RuneScape and how sense of self relates to involvement in online gaming

Dear participant, please read through the following information. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this document, or more generally about the study, please contact the researcher - myself, Michele, at *contact details provided if you express interest in taking part*

What you are being asked to do:
You are being invited to take part in a study which looks at online gaming and identity. The purpose of this research is to gain a greater understanding of how our sense of self may change in an online setting, and how it may be shaped by the way we interact with other people online.

You have been asked to participate in this piece of research because you play RuneScape, and because you have achieved a high level on the game.

As part of the study you will be asked to partake in an interview which should last around 30 minutes (1 hour maximum). You will be given a choice to decide whether you are more comfortable conducting the interview via instant message or verbally in a call over Skype. The interview will involve a series of open-ended questions; these are about your personal thoughts, feelings, and experiences, so you are encouraged to elaborate and answer in depth. The questions will be split into sections based on four main research foci, which are:
Why do people play MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role-playing games) - specifically RuneScape?
How involved do people become with the game and why?
How does the social aspect change people’s experience of the game?
Where do we draw the line between what is ‘real life’ and what is ‘virtual’?

Your data:
Your name or username will not be displayed in any records - anonymity and confidentiality will be protected through use of pseudonyms, and any information you provide which can be deemed as directly identifying will be omitted from the research as well.

The data you are providing by participating in this interview will be used for my third year undergraduate dissertation and nothing else. Data will be safely stored on my private computer, and will be destroyed after the project is complete and has been marked.

There are no risks to your health and safety in this study. However, if you feel uncomfortable answering a certain question you are under no obligation to answer it. The interview is designed to be non-intrusive but if you do find any of the subject matter distressing you are free to withdraw at any time.

You are free to withdraw from the interview at any time and without having to give a reason. If you choose to withdraw you are also free to decide whether any data concerning you so far is removed from the project or stays in the project. If you do decide after the interview that you would like to withdraw, you have up to one week from the date of the interview to do so.

If choosing to participate in the study, you will be asked at the beginning of the interview to confirm that you consent to taking part in this research.

Last edited by Olmara on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Count me in. Just pm me in-game when you have time for it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dunebell
Cave Bug

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:43 pm

im down

-dunebell
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Rockslug
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:47 pm

same
Back to top Go down
titchy grenwall
Cave Bug
titchy grenwall

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 4:49 pm

I would be more than willing to help. Just give me a heads up in advance
Back to top Go down
Birch
Harpie Bug Swarm
Birch

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 5:24 pm

ayyy lmao +1
Back to top Go down
Olmara
Molanisk
Olmara

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:52 am

Just a note that the interviews conducted so far have proved to be more around the 1 hour mark - edit: can ignore that, last interview was only 40 minutes - (but the typed interviews have taken considerably more time)
Back to top Go down
Hopalong
Soulgazer
Hopalong

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm down, you know where to find me!
Back to top Go down
Olmara
Molanisk
Olmara

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 7:59 pm

I may not have time to do many more (but I'll try!)
Thank you so much to the people who have participated so far, the interviews have been great, and thanks to all who have put themselves forward even if I haven't managed to speak to you yet I love you
Back to top Go down
Sf Brave
Mogre

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

I'd be up for it, if you still need more informations and people's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.runescape.com
Ziksy
Abyssal Demon
Ziksy

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 am

Me too. If you're down for it I can come on to TS in a nice, quiet place to talk to too.

GL with project work.
Back to top Go down
Olmara
Molanisk
Olmara

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 4:30 pm

This is all finished with, tysm again to everyone who helped out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research   Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research Empty

Back to top Go down

Olmara needs YOU! Help me with research
Page 1 of 1