The Slayer Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8

Go down 
+3
Pholus
Villiama
Hopalong
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Villiama
Dark Beast

Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 Empty
PostSubject: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Spoiler:

I have more or less directly stolen Jagex's concept of cryptic clue fest. Twisted Evil Don't worry I've put a bit of a personal twist on it.

Prizes

1. Santa hat. (Cash will be awarded instead of santa if the highest score is shared between two or more people.)
  2. One of the stacks of loot from my nex tab. (minimum value 10M but may be much higher.)

How to participate
Each day for the next week I will be posting a clue on this thread. Solving that clue will give you an answer containing 3 items of varying quantity. Your job is to make a note of these items and send them to a certain person in the nest by finding them in the memberlist.

If you have sent the right items and ensured that they are in the correct quantity you'll be sent a clue indicating who the person you'll send to tomorrow is. So when tomorrow has arrived you'll find a new puzzle on this thread which will give you the 3 items and their number. Sounds easy, yeah? sunny The first day's post will include both a clue showing what person to send to and a clue showing what the items are. The other days will only contain a clue for the items.

In the end when the clues have all been posted your job is to send what you've gathered to me. Make sure you've noted down who you were supposed to send the message to and what items you sent in the message to them to get their clue.

Rules 'n' guidelines

• No cheating by attempting to pressure me or the volunteers for details or answers.
  • Try to work out the clues alone. Just being given answers takes the fun out of everything.
  • Don't be afraid of sending personal messages to people. We are all friends here. Smile
  • The event will close on the 2nd of August.

Ask me in-game if you have any questions regarding how to participate.

Example

"A mysterious person dwells in the night.
He was first to on this site shed a light.

To him you must send a message with haste.
Lest his clue goes unheard; oh what a waste.

Mention to him a solitary spade
Two addy ores and long runite blade"

In this example we've received a clue that seems to point to the creator of this site or the person to first see it or something. He was first to on this site shed a light. We know that finding the person must be possible by looking on the memberlist. So by fiddling around with filters, setting them to display in order of "join date" and either "ascending" or "descending" we can find out in what order people joined the site. In this case we're looking for the person who first joined. For this example the person to send the message to would've been Gan_real. It's also possible to set it to show "usernames", "usergroup", "website" and other nifty things. Tip: use these filters when searching for the person to message.

The items on the other hand are fairly straightforward. it mentions a solitary spade, in other words 1 spade. Two adamant ores and a long runite blade - quite obviously a rune longsword. Figuring out the items and how many of each item might be a tad more difficult than in this example. Razz

So for this example our message would look like this:

To: Gan_real
Subject: Cryptic clue fest event

Hiya, I R soz if this is the wrong person to send to but hopefully I got it right. Razz

1 spade
2 adamant ore
1 rune longsword

If we got it right the person will reply with a clue that points to tomorrow's person. If the items are somehow wrong we'll have to try again.

TL;DR

Use clue to find person on memberlist. Solve clue on this thread for items. Send personal message with items to person here on snof. Person gives you clue pointing to next person. Solve new clue on this thread and send to them. Repeat.

Last edited by Villiama on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Day 1

Hiya. You might recognize me as the Voice from mine and Villi's scrollventure.

Recently Villi and I found a bunch of notes in a mysterious bag in a village somewhere. At first they seemed to be nothing but gibberish. However as we went on our way after that we learned that they were much more than gibberish.

The first note we decided to read said:

Going up the names is something you will not rue
For there sits a keeper of a clue at place 93

He might be a noob but at times he may shine
mention the following items in the quantity of 3, 2 and 9

* An item used extensively in Shilo village, it is exchanged for fish.
* An item associated with listing things to do before dying.
* The eggs of an amphibic creature.

Last edited by Villiama on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hopalong
Soulgazer
Hopalong

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Good luck everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Feel free to post here if anyone has any comment. Just make sure that nothing you say can be used as a hint. Wink
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 am

Day 2

What a curious note that was. Hopefully this next one will shed some light on the situation.

At the rate you're going, this'll be a breeze
The next batch of items all come in threes

* A small token made from black, sturdy stone.
* A short thing made from supernatural logs.
* Bandos might like this item. 5 prayer bonus is always nice.

...Well that didn't explain anything at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 6:42 am

I just had the craziest dream Shocked

In my dream a SNOF admin went rogue and hacked everyone's' accounts looking for hints.

Damn margaritas before bed.
Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 am

I see you removed the thread where ppl posted to volunteer. I guess this means I will be solving one extra clue, as I never copied down a list of names. Well played sir. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 6:46 pm

So how is it going for everyone? Good I trust? I can make the puzzles harder if you all find it too easy currently. Razz
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 am

Day 3

Reading the notes just deepened the mystery. Instead of trying to understand what was up with the bag Villi and I decided to take a trip down to Daemonheim to do some dungeoneering. When we arrived there was a massive crowd and we were met with a rather stunning sight. Mighty Thok was having a rap & dance battle with the fearsome Raptor!

Yo! Marmaros gone? Thok will find!
Mini-marm here too, powers combined
We fight all day down in demon halls
You fight me? Ha! you got some *bleep*!

Not impressed. You just pummel small creatures
I fight like a man while you cower in the bleachers
I heard you beat Kal'ger. Not bad for a beginner
But I'm the master of combat, I eat Vorago for dinner

Big man in suit of armour, must be afraid
Come fight me like man, or you scared of my blade?
I don't need stupid armour to make metal-man squeal
You eat Vorago for dinner? Ha, tiny rock-meal!
Rap fast, you not have much time
You gonna lose to master of Daemonheim!

Master you say?
Allow me to display
Why you're wrong
before we finish this song
I'm changing up the pace
with my massive mace
You fremennik clown
prepare to sit down

You tried your best at rapping for this rap contest
But my general impression? Unimpressed.

When the applause had settled a discussion arose about who had busted the most moves while rapping - Thok or the Raptor. Among the people discussing were Thok, the Raptor and Party Pete. The person who busted the least moves is lying.

Thok claims he busted 2 more moves than the Raptor.
The Raptor claims he busted twice as many moves as Thok did.

Party Pete, being the sly businessman that he is, took this opportunity to advertise his afro shop:
"take the cost of one afro and divide it by the amount of different afros I have for sale and you will get the number of moves busted by Thok."

As I was trying to figure out Pete's puzzle Villi showed me a note from the bag.

*(The number of moves busted by the Raptor)  A tool that surprises Batman's sidekick.
*(The number of moves busted by Thok) A hat that is related to the aforementioned person.
*(The number of moves busted in total by both Raptor & Thok) A serrated tool.
Back to top Go down
Mufc42
Ice Strykewyrm
Ice Strykewyrm
Mufc42

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 4:46 am

Posting so i get an email when people reply!
Back to top Go down
Phonixz
Ganodermic Beast
Ganodermic Beast
Phonixz

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:14 am

Mufc42 wrote:
Posting so i get an email when people reply!

Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 Watch_10

Last edited by Phonixz on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:23 am

Day 4

After finding out just how many moves were busted we decided to ask Party Pete for some suggestions for good shops around RuneScape. If he's such a good businessman then surely he'll know where to get the best bargains! We also asked how much the items there costed. His reply was:
"There is a shop where the prices are really Lowe. The first item is equal to how many windows there are in the shop. The second item is equal to how many trees there are just west of the shop. The third item however is completely different, in a neighbouring store some horseshoes hang on a wall. The third item is equal to them in number."
Who knew that Party Pete was so cryptic and mathematical!

Apparently the next note from the bag reads as follows:

* An item found on a table at Fred the Farmer's house.
* An accurate piece of jewellery sold by a wizard.
* A rather empty-looking seal, remember to commend the seller 10 times on purchase
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

A mistake was discovered with the item clue for day 4. I got the number for one of the items wrong when I made it. Either it changed due to RS3 launch or I just wasn't paying much attention when I made day 4. It'll work now, I'm terribly sorry everyone. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 am

Day 5

Just after leaving the store Party Pete spoke of we came across a posse causing some ruckus in the street.
Chairs were being thrown everywhere and fistfights were erupting here and there. The guards were being overwhelmed.

Apparently a very intense game of chess was underway. When glancing over at the table I noticed a way to win for the person playing white in just 2 moves.

The person playing as white was just about to make their move.

Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 Cryptic_zps3df45f7d

Villi asked me: what piece does white win with? As he asked he held out yet another note from the bag.

If pawn:
3, amulet of power
1 wooden plank
If knight:
4 ashes
1 bucket of milk
If rook:
5 bullseye lantern
9 leather boots
If king:
2 spade
6 willow log
If bishop:
5 arrow shaft
3 earth rune

The third item, regardless of what piece is moved, sounds like the numbers above when aligned. Except it's a muddier kind. 8 of these should do.
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm postponing day 6 until tomorrow for... reasons.

If it wasn't properly conveyed by the first post; you can still enter even if you don't successfully figure out what some items are or what people to PM.

See spoiler for an example of a hypothetical entry. In other words how your final entry might look when all the clues have been solved.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ThatRandom
Cave Crawler

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Villiama wrote:
I'm postponing day 6 until tomorrow for... reasons.

If it wasn't properly conveyed by the first post; you can still enter even if you don't successfully figure out what some items are or what people to PM.

See spoiler for an example of a hypothetical entry. In other words how your final entry might look when all the clues have been solved.

Spoiler:

This was an epic example. You win an internet, sir.
Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Villiama wrote:

Should add that its not too late to join in if you haven't started yet.
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 am

Day 6

This was all becoming a bit too creepy for my taste. How could the notes know what was going to happen in advance? Therefore I asked villi to take the mysterious bag back to where we found it.

Upon closer examination of the bag we also found a painting inside it, seemingly made by a child. The painting depicts a tree and a castle basking in the sun. We decided to go around the houses randomly to search for the real owner of the bag.

The house to which the painting belongs must be the owner's house.

House A.
Spoiler:

House B.
Spoiler:

House C.
Spoiler:

We also checked another note to see if that could help us figure out where the bag belongs:

If house A:
14 vials
5 bronze arrows
1 tuna
If house B:
2 wooden shields
6 smoke runes
6 leather gloves
If house C:
3 potatoes
1 staff of air
5 fire runes
If none of the houses:
3 rune daggers
9 cannonballs
8 raw swordfish

I just don't understand this! Where's Runelock Holmes when you need him?...
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Due to people creating new accounts on snof some clues pointing to the people to pm has been rendered obsolete. Everything should be fixed now.
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:49 am

This final day is intended for the volunteers only so that they don't have an unfair advantage. Of course you can still solve this one even if you're not one of the volunteers but please note that it won't be counted in your final entry.

I'll post tomorrow with more instructions for submitting the final entry. Smile

Day 7

After leaving the bag at the doorstep of the house we went on our way. Suddenly we came across Zezima and SUOMI, bartering with one another.
Here's what we heard:

Zezima: I have this box here, both of us put 20k in it.
SUOMI: Okay
Zezima: Now there's 40k in it. Would you like to buy it for 30k?
SUOMI: Spending 30k to get 40k? Sure!
Zezima: Thank you very much
SUOMI: Sweet! We've now both earned 10k. Very Happy

Villi asked me: "Wait, how'd they do that? Should we report someone for scamming?" and held up one note he had stolen from the bag before leaving it.

If you shouldn't report anyone:
7 raw salmon
3 uncut sapphire
1 gold ring
If you should report Zezima:
2 bird nest
3 hammer
2 empty jug
If you should report SUOMI:
1 cake tin
1 knife
8 fire talisman

You are close to finishing this cryptic event
Hopefully it will have been worth the time that you spent
If you don't receive a prize please don't be sad
Think instead of all the fun that you had

The final person you have yet to discover
Because first a hidden clue you must uncover
It's hidden nearby, it's frightfully close
It might even be right under your nose

That was the most confusing one yet! Good thing we got rid of the bag once and for all.

Posts and Descending - spot twelve.
Back to top Go down
Phonixz
Ganodermic Beast
Ganodermic Beast
Phonixz

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 am

Dear god, that blue could kill
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 8:30 am

Now that all the clues have been posted there's only one thing left to do: submitting your entry. Send a PM to me here on snof with the items and persons you've figured out. Below is an example of how an entry might look. If you have any questions about any of this pm me in-game.

The event will remain open until Friday on the 2nd of August.

Villiama wrote:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 am

If the volunteers aren't responding due to some surreal reason like having lives in real life then it's perfectly fine to pm me over snof instead. (What a silly reason, right? Razz) Make sure you include what day and what person the message normally would've been sent to normally though. The volunteers only needed the items whereas pm'ing me over snof in their stead needs day, name of the volunteer and items.
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am

It isn't long until the event closes now. Hurry up and submit your final entry before it's too late!
Back to top Go down
Villiama
Dark Beast

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 3:41 pm

The event is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated and a special thanks to the volunteers! cheers I'll start looking through the entries now. If you've submitted an entry you can expect a snof pm telling you if you won or lost. Since everyone will get a snof pm it'll be more suspenseful than if only the winners get one. Wink

The correct answers will be posted not too long after I've sent the snof messages.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8   Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cryptic clue fest event 19/7-2/8
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next