The Slayer Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NiHoa
Gelatinnous Abomination

[NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide Empty
PostSubject: [NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide   [NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Slayer Guide for Iron/Steel Dragons, made for the Slayer Nest Official Forums by Ni Hoa. This is my first slayer guide created so far, and planning to make more.

Introduction

I do these two slayer task in one time, because they require almost the same tactic to defeat them.

Spoiler:

Iron Dragon: Combat 189

Spoiler:

Steel Dragon: Combat 246

The two dragons are of the second and third tier of the Metal Dragons, with of course Bronze Dragons as the weakest Metal Dragons. The iron dragons are given as a slayer task by Sumona, Duradel or Kuradal, and the steel dragons by only Duradel and Kuradal.

In Combat

To start off: The dragons are far weaker then their combat level suggests. They both use a long-range dragonfire and a melee attack. I will explain the three most common tactics to kill them later on in this guide. Both the dragons have a max hit of around 220 lifepoints with their melee attack, and can hit over 500 if not protected against dragonfire.

If you are out of their melee range, they will only use their long-range dragonfire. Within melee range, they use their dragonfire and their melee attacks.

The dragons are weak to stab and fire spells.

Locations

By far, the best location to kill them is at the end of Kuradal´s Dungeon. If not using Kuradal as a slayer master, they may be killed in Ghorrock´s Fortress or Brimhaven Dungeon. Ghorrock´s Fortress would be the better of the two. Note: Ghorrock's Fortress is NOT in the wilderness.

Strategies

Inventory:

Should at least consist of:
- Enough healing for making up any mistakes made
- Just to be safe: 1 (super) antifire potion per 15 dragons.
- Range boosting (Ranged potion), Magic boosting (Magic potion; Wolpertinger; Vecna's skull) or Melee boosting (Super/Extreme set) is recommended.
- Prayer Renewals and Prayer potions if using a prayer to boost.
- Slayer Ring or Enchanted Gem
- Runes if using magic
- Spec weapon is recommended.

Magic setup:

There are 2 spells that are efficient for killing the dragons. One being the Fire Wave / Surge, with a higher cost but more experience gained. Or using the Polypore Staff, which works surprisingly well on the dragons. Tactic: Use your antifire potions while staying out of its melee range, to avoid any damage.

These setups will suffice for both dragons:

These will be setups for medium-level players. Higher level players may use their best magic armour. Please note that this is based upon my personal opinion with my experience

Aura: Your best reverence if using magic-boosting prayer.
Head: (Full) Slayer Helm > Black Mask
Necklace: Arcane stream necklace > Saradomin's Hiss > Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory
Body: Ahrim's Robe top > Infinity Robe Top > Mystic Robe Top
Legs: Ahrim's Legs > Infinity Legs > Mystic Legs
Main Hand: Staff of Light > Fire staff. (Or polypore staff is using that tactic)
Off hand: If not using super antifire: Dragonfire shield/Antidragon shield is your only bet! Illuminated Unholy Book > Arcane Spirit Shield Mage's Book > Unholy book > Celestial Surgebox. (Mage's Book/Arcane Spirit Shield if not praying!)
Boots: Ragefire boots > Infinity Boots > Mystic Boots
Gloves: Barrows Gloves (Culinaromancer 10)
Ring: Ferocious Ring (if in Kuradal's Dungeon) > Seers' Ring (i) > Tokkul-Zo/Seers' Ring
Ammunition: Dragonbane bolts > Broad bolts
Cape: Saradomin Cape > Soul wars cape > Trimmed skill cape

Ranged setup:

Ranged is rarely used on the steel dragons, but might be used on the iron dragons. Range them, staying out of their melee range and drinking your antifire potions.

Aura: Your best reverence if using ranged-boosting prayer.
Head: (Full) Slayer Helm > Black Mask
Necklace: Saradomin's murmur > Amulet of Ranging > Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory
Body: Armadyl chestplate > Royal d'hide > Black d'hide
Legs: Armadyl chaps > Royal d'hide > Black d'hide
Main Hand: Chaotic Crossbow > Rune Crossbow
Off hand: If not using super antifire: Dragonfire shield/Antidragon shield is your only bet! Illuminated Unholy Book > Unholy Book
Boots: Glaiven boots > snakeskin boots
Gloves: Mercenary's gloves > Barrows Gloves
Ring: Ferocious Ring (if in Kuradal's Dungeon) > Archer Ring (i) > Tokkul-Zo/Archer Ring
Cape: Ava's device > Soul wars cape > Trimmed skill cape

Melee setup:

I discuss the prayer-method, i dont recommend the tanking method for medium-level players. Attack them with melee, while drinking your antifire potions and Protecting against Melee prayer.

Aura: Your best reverence if using turmoil or piety
Head: (Full) Slayer Helm Black Mask
Necklace: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory
Body: Proselyte body > Bandos chestplate
Legs: Proselyte legs > Bandos tassets
Main Hand: Chaotic Rapier > Korasi's sword for strength/Brackish blade for accuracy > Zamorakian Spear
Off hand: If not using super antifire: Dragonfire shield/Antidragon shield is your only bet! > Dragon Defender > Illuminated Unholy Book
Boots: Dragon boots > bandos boots
Gloves: Goliath Gloves > Barrows gloves
Ring: Ferocious Ring (if in Kuradal's Dungeon) > Berserker ring (i) > Tokkul zo/Berserker ring.
Cape: Tokhaar-Kal Fire Cape > Soul wars cape > Trimmed skillcape

Loot

Iron and Steel dragons are most hunter for the Draconic Visage, being worth millions of coins. Iron dragons don't have any very interesting drops for the rest. Steel dragons drop frequently rune items, like runite limbs and runite bolts. Of course, the dragons have a 100% drop of dragon bones.

This was the end of the guide. This is my first slayer guide i created so far for you. And if you feel something is missing, please leave a comment. If you like the guide, then please say also, that would make me very happy Smile

Hope to see u in-game! Greets Ni Hoa!
Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

[NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: [NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide   [NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

very nice, though I have found 2 minor points:
1. I believe that the black mask boost only works with melee attacks, so for range/mage a different helm/hat would be better
2. spellcaster and swift gloves from dom tower give the highest mage and range attack bonuses (respectively)
looks good though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

[NI HOA'S] Iron/Steel Dragon Guide
Page 1 of 1