The Slayer Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James's Farming guide

Go down 
+5
World XXIV
Pholus
CookieSlay3r
Hockie34
Imjust James
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

James's Farming guide Empty
PostSubject: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

So this is my first guide so don't expect it to be the know it all guide for anything and everything. It will be aimed towards people with at least lv 40 farming, and will be for tree runs, and herb runs, and how to power farm.

Why farm? aside from it being a skill that is needed for max cape, farming can be a simple daily routine of doing tree runs, and herb runs, with herb runs being fantastic profit for anyone.

I'm going to break this guide into several pages for different things.
Just a general thing, all my guides automatically assume your using super compost on every patch. the lunar spell makes it very easy to increase yields/speed/Strength of everything you plant, without having to waste buckets, since it acts as super compost.

Page 1 Tree farming (regular)

Page 2 Fruit tree farming

Page 3 Herb runs

Page 4 power training/livid?

Last edited by Imjust James on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

PostSubject: Regular trees   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Tree patch locations:

Lumby: Behind castle.
Falador: In park.
Tavelry: Near entrance if running from fally.
Varock: Near ivys by castle.
Gnome: Outside gnome stronghold bank.

Best way to do all of them fast:

Grab a lumby, Fally, and varrock tele tab. start at lumby and plant/check the tree behind castle. Then continue to teleport to Falador, do the tree patch in the park, then proceed to run to Tavelry to do that tree. After those are done use your Varrock teletab, head to the patch near ivys, then run to spirit tree and tele to stronghold, do the last patch there and your done with a tree run! should take approximately 6-7 minutes, if you clear opposed to cut logs.
(depending on how much of the balloon network you have done, you can do tavelry last by running to the balloon in the gnome stronghold. Or also you could tele tab to tavelry and that may be 1-2 seconds quicker than how i explained. depends on how you wanna take it)

Remeber you need tree saplings to plant, not the seeds. for saplings you need a plant pot and watering can, plant the seed in the pot and water it, wait until its a full sapling, then your able to plant.
Now for the trees.

James's Farming guide Regtre10

Now although magic is the best xp, 1 magic seed pays for approximatly 4 yew tree seeds, which is double the xp, although it is about 2x the amount of time needed.

When it comes to low lv farming, if your at least 30 it will cost you near nothing to at least do daily tree runs of willows, and although it is slow xp, it still some and working your way to a higher level. doing maples may be more costly than doing willows, but it may be worth it if you can afford it until you get to yew trees for power farming(poor mans power farming).

When it comes to protecting your trees via the farmer, Its worth it to protect basically every tree but yew trees. Magics you really should protect, because paying an extra 60k is worth saving a 325k investment, whereas 50k to protect a 76k investment really isn't worth it since trees don't die that often to begin with.

Timing your tree runs: For timing with yew/magic tree seeds, its possible to get about 3 runs in a day unless your hardcore rs player who's awake always. For me i do a run when i first wake up, (7-8ish) then do another run when im done with classes (3-4ish) and my trees are usually done. my last run is later at night around 11-12. If that's to late for you, do 2 runs a day and keep it at that. Magic trees may be very difficult to do 3 a day, whereas yews isn't too bad.

My average xp a day is about 100k a day, alone with just doing yew trees. It's roughly 185k a day if you can fit in 3 magic tree trips a day.

That concludes my intro to tree farming, if there is more you want me to add or things i missed, please tell me! ^.^

Prices are all subject to change, and i may update them monthly. these prices are current as of 10/29/12.
Apologies for my table not coming out correctly spaced when posted. ill work on fixing in excel later.

Last edited by Imjust James on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

PostSubject: Fruit Tree Guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Locations for Fruit Tree Patch's (6):
East of Catherby bank, by mountain.
Gnome Stronghold above agility course, next to tree
Gnome village, outside by river.
Brimhaven, right off the boat docks.
Lletya, right outside the bank.
Herblore Habitat, inside the farm area.

How to get to them. Since there is no super fast way to do these all in a magical sequence, i'm just telling you how to get to them.

Catherby: Catherby tele(lunar), Cammy Teletab, Charter ship.
Gnome Stronghold: Spirit tree tele is the best.
Gnome Village: Spirit tree tele or the gnome planes. (best done right after stronghold if using tree)
Brimhaven: Charter ship, ardy teletab then take ship, house tele (if house is in brimhaven)
Lletya: Teleport crystal, i do not advise walking. (if cant do, then dont)
Herblore Habitat: Juju Teleport Bag.

Remeber you need fruit tree saplings to plant, not the seeds. for saplings you need a plant pot and watering can, plant the seed in the pot and water it, wait until its a full sapling, then your able to plant.

Heres the chart: CTP = cost to protect.
James's Farming guide Fruitc10

Fruit tree farming is much more simple compared to regular tree farming in a few senses. First off, you only need to do 1 trip a day, unless you plan on waiting 14.6 hours to do another run on that same day. Secondly, the key to fruit trees is ALWAYS protect them. although some the tree seeds are incredibly cheap, you don't want them to die and effectively waste 14.6 hours of growing that could have resulted in at least some xp. Protect fruit trees is also very cheap to begin with.

Also note this for papaya/palm trees: You will always pick at least 6 of the fruit, which means you get back 30k(papaya doing 6 patchs) or 90k(palms doing 6 patchs). That is almost enough to pay off 1 total seed! Sidenote: Using ent gives you chance to pick 50% more fruit, so up to about 9-10 per tree, which will save you even more money!

For best xp, do the best tree you can do. But i advise only doing palm tree's if you can afford them. They are incredibly costly, and even i still only do papaya to save money. 4 Papaya seeds costs as much as 1 Palm tree, with a yield of double the xp, at the cost of triple the time. But i say the money im saving is worth it. (If farming is to be your last 99, and every other skill is 99, that's when id suggest doing palms, but not until then).

My trend is do a fruit-tree run when i wake up, right after i do a normal tree run/herb run. Usual xp yield is 30k. (36k if i used all 6 patches, but as i use the herblore habitat for jadinkos, i only have access to 5).

Hope this helps greatly with your overall farming experience!

All prices are subject to change, but are current as of 3/11/12

Last edited by Imjust James on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

PostSubject: Herb run   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Why do herb runs? Not only are they decent exp if done enough daily, they are great profit to do.

A few basic things about this portion of the guide:
I will be sticking to herb seeds that are commonly used for profit, if people request some herbs i left out i can add them in.
All herbs take 75 minutes to grow (slightly faster with super compost, which increases the minimum yield of any live herb patch to 5 herbs)
You will want juju farming potions to maximize profits, and i mean really maximize it by large amounts.
If you can get any of the greenfingers auras, they are great. i personally use master, and will be buying supreme when possible. even the small 5% bonus makes a great differences.
You should have magic secateurs from fairy tales quest.
Remote farm is your friend if you can use it. (more on this in livid farm section)
Herblore habitat farming will be covered in a different spot, at a later time.

Patch locations:
Trollheim(after my arms big adv. Quest. This patch cant get diseased.
Ardy farm patch north of the market. slightly past the farm.
Port phant. Farm, slightly (north?) of the ecto tele spot.
Fally farming area south of city, north of cabbage teleport via explorers ring.
Catherby farming area, north of the bank, east of cammy tele.

James's Farming guide Herbch10
HNTP = Herbs needed to profit.

Those are the seeds most commonly farmed for profit. I added fellstalk only because its the best xp, and incredibly cheap(if your power farming and dont care about money(which is silly cause torstols are great) have at yee fellstalk fiends).

Now to pick which seed is right for you to farm, take your level and do the best you can is basically the rule of thumb. With the exception of having all 5 patches die (1 cant so not possible) or doing torstol seeds/snap seeds, its near impossible losing money on anything ~avantoe.

Now if you 85 farming, the choice is usually between torstol or Dwarf weed for best profits, because with DW you can make slightly more than lantadyme still. In my honest opinion, Torstols are only worth doing if you have juju potions, and at least the standard greenfingers aura. Torstols are rather risky if your not using remote farm every 25 mins or so, but the profit of doing them can be amazing. in a full run you need about 35-40 Torstols to make a profit, and after those everything is profit. with juju potions, greenfingers, and remote farm(assuming you kept all patches alive) the average is 40-55 Torstols from my experience.

Now on average day of snapdragon runs, i used to make approx. 700k a day, since i started Torstols thats rose to about 1.8m a day on average, doing about 7 runs a day. I also net about 8-12k farming xp per Torstol run.

If anyone has a average profit/xp/run list of the other herb seeds i will gladly add them into this guide.

Now for the run. (using juju potions/Greenfingers/Secateurs):
The best thing to do is run to trollhiem, or teleport via lunars/modified house tab, and start out at that patch. Activate aura then drink juju potion, farm the herb, fertilize soil, plant seed. Next step is teleport to Port Phant. using ectophial tele, repeat farming steps. Then use ardy cape to tele ardy patch(or ardy tab to market and sprint north to patch), followed by cabbage patch tele via explorer ring, and lastly catherby tele via lunars(or run east using cammy teletab). If done correctly, this should all be done under 5 minutes, and will be ready in about 70 minutes for the next run.

Simple notes: For most effective herb farming. get:
Magic Secateurs (fairy tale quest)<- needed for most for great profit. GET THIS
Supreme greenfingers (about 90k total loyalty needed, gives 10% bonus yield approx.)
Juju Farming potions(gives chance of double herbs) <- needed for torstol GET THIS (for great profits)
Explorer ring 3(lumby tasks)
Ardy cape 4(hard to get but totally worth it for under 5 minute runs)
Trollhiem house tele tab(Quest reward also)
Lunars For catherby and fertile soil spells
My big arms adv. for trollhiem farming patch which is disease free. GET THIS
Remote farm(livid farm) <- great for anything and everything farm related, but hard to acquire.
Scroll of life saves 10% of seeds approx, GET THIS.

Tips:
Do about 1-2 slayer tasks and check up on herbs.
If you have remote farm, check after every task, or every 30-45 minutes.
Gnomes will note your herbs, dont try banking them.
if farming torstol, dont get discouraged by a bad yield or alot of deaths, if you have all the best conditions for them, you will still come out ahead in the long run.

In the spoiler are my torst run pics. you can tell the yield varies, but often times is at least over 500 per 50 seeds, so im always profiting. Note: The profit has been lowering as herbs crash faster than the seed, although when it stabilizes it will go back up more.
Spoiler:

If i left things out, tell me and ill add em in, or if you request herbs added i will do so.

Last edited by Imjust James on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

PostSubject: Res   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Res
Back to top Go down
Imjust James
Cave Bug
Imjust James

PostSubject: Res   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Res
Back to top Go down
Hockie34
Turoth

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Good guide so far, little hint for Taverly tree people who can modify the home teletabs can make one for Taverly or even using the loadstone(never used) could speed it up. Look forward to more guides.
Back to top Go down
CookieSlay3r
Soulgazer
CookieSlay3r

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm

niceeee guide thus far, keep working on it and it will be great, one tip my be to add some screenies under spoiler so people can get a visual
Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 am

very nice

also should note for taverly tree, its right beside the balloon, so if youve unlocked the baloon routes, its faster to cut 1 reg log and balloon to tav from gnome stronghold than run from fally
Back to top Go down
World XXIV
Crawling Hand
World XXIV

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 4:46 am

Thanks for this. I've never really known how to farm efficiently, I've always just planted trees since 15 farming, this'll definitely help me a lot. =]
Back to top Go down
Amy
Abyssal Demon
Amy

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 6:01 am

Good guide, one question though

for normal tree runs, isnt it quicker to dueling ring to castle wars and get the hot air balloon to taverly instead of running from fally park to the patch?
Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 6:51 am

Amy Surprised wrote:
Good guide, one question though

for normal tree runs, isnt it quicker to dueling ring to castle wars and get the hot air balloon to taverly instead of running from fally park to the patch?

I am 99.9% sure that its faster to just run to the gnome stronghold balloon.
Back to top Go down
Go??

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am

Back to top Go down
Pholus
Soulgazer
Pholus

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 pm

should note that if youve grown a spirit tree in brimhaven, its a teensy bit faster than house teles. also, witchdoctor mask gives unlimited teleports to hh if unlocked. guide looks good though Smile
Back to top Go down
ksaturn123
Desert Lizard

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm

My how farming has changed since I got 99. Great guide though!
Back to top Go down
Ziksy
Abyssal Demon
Ziksy

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am

Great guide Smile

Could someone help me/improve my runs? (If needed) - or at least state opinion (pros/cons)

- I fon't own Trollheim herb teleport (although I did Edgar's Ruse for actual Trollheim teleport)
- I don't own Ardougne tasks cape

Tree run: I do combined run (normal + fruit trees), as payments can be noted
Start at Varrock and check normal tree at the castle. Run to Spirit tree and check fruit tree just outside the Gnome Village. Run back to spirit tree and teleport to Gnome Stronghold. Check fruit tree (east) and normal tree (just south-west from bank - west from Gnome Agilty course). I then use lodestone teleport method (or teleport tablets) to Taverly, Lumbridge and Falador (check normal trees at that spots. I then house teletab teleport to my house (Brimhaven) and check fruit tree just north. Use Crystal teleport seed to teleport to Lletya (fruit tree). Last use Catherby lodestone and check fruit tree at the beach.
Farmers WILL accept noted payments, Leprechaun can note fruits obtained from your fruit trees.
(Along with tree run I'll go pick up spines at Al Kharid cactus patch, buy Pineapples/Seaweed from Catherby dock seller, get Flax from that Flax-guy, harvest mushrooms at Canfis and get sand from Yanille.)

Herb run: I start at Trollheim patch (as I don't have teleport-to-patch yet). Lodestone teleport to Ardougne (no Ardougne task cape), Ectophial vial teleport to Canfis patch, lodestone teleport to Catherby and Explorer's ring teleport to Falador/Port Sarim patch. I manage run in approximate 3:30-4:00 minutes (depends on lagg and amount of herbs).
I rake 2 patches at Catherby and all 3 at Falador patch - 15 weeds = full compost bin. Use Compost potion to produce 15 SuperComposts. Easy and effective.

Any opinions on what I should get ASAP or if I'm missing any infos about my runs? (Improvements/etc.)

Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Ketalar
Mutated Jadinko Guard
Ketalar

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm

^ Leprauchauns will not only note things from trees, they note herbs, produce, etc. very useful in farm runs
Back to top Go down
CookieSlay3r
Soulgazer
CookieSlay3r

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Ketalar wrote:
^ Leprauchauns will not only note things from trees, they note herbs, produce, etc. very useful in farm runs

n'awwwwwwwwwwwwww
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James's Farming guide   James's Farming guide Empty

Back to top Go down

James's Farming guide
Page 1 of 1