The Slayer Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mudd's musings

Go down 
+9
budlightlyme
Roving bob
Hopalong
Ziksy
Mufc42
Lin
weets
Wanahunuluge
pepsi
13 posters
AuthorMessage

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. How I see things may not be as it is, just a certian viewpoint by an oldie (in SN terms), and maybe I am just grumpy. Also, if anything offends you here, pm me about it or mention it in this thread politely please and i will do my best to remove it or revise the wording.

Here are a few issues I have

- Elitist nest - I understand wanting to be given praise for what we have done, but has it gone overboard? You're going to get 99 in a skill, good for you, go get it, but do i need constant reminders, no i don't, by this i mean, "halfway from 95 to 96", "96!!!" "third to 97" " 2/3rds to 97!" "97!!!", or even the 100kexp updates I've seen on the rare occasion. Is it really nessacry to let everyone know 2-3 times a day we have certian/multiple 99's either. This nest was meant to help and accept all, but les and less i see lower leveled people saying or even being praised for their efforts. Is there a way we can still let others know our progress without it making others feel their accomplishments are less or not worthy?

- Ranks - I am not here to bash ranks, but a couple behaviors by some are concerning. In a recent complaint a couple gens took to saying swearing is inexcusable, which i agree with. The problem I have with this is about half a week ago, one of these very gens (which will remain unnamed unless they contradict me) wrote two simple lines in chat "Excuse my language" "*", well, I can't write the second line as it would break the language rule 3-4 times with a certian 4 letter f word. If ranks want to see certian behavior out of us, they because of their position bear the weight of an example. Also, I know ranks have responsiblities they attend to, but would it be possible for them to socialize with nesters more? Maybe I am just on at the wrong times of the day but there are several capts+ who can be see in the nest, but never heard from. I don't expect huge amounts of socialization, but could 5 minutes now and then hurt?

- Self-worshiping - This is a tricky one of where certian lines are, as my old 'tyrant personality' may be considered part of this. There is always a fine line of helping others and fending for yourself. You don't want to spend hours running around to help others, or wasting all of certian aspects to do so, but is it possible that only helping others where it profits you is not enough? How many people will only help with an effigy if it gets them experience they need? Is it possible for them that if they get a lvl 95 effigy assist, the remaining 5k exp they have left to do any effigy they have? That extra 5k runecraft exp you lose out on going to set you back that much? Also, does everything that you don't do need to be put on a lower tier? Type A way of lvling a skill may be faster than type B and C, but does that mean everyine should be doing it that way? Is the only correct way to level combat through slayer? Or by gosh, is there someone who wants to do it a different way!!

- Suck-ups/brownnosers - Do people really have to defend any slight agaisnt a rank or 'well respected' members. There are times people throw them under the bus and that is wrong, but can people not joke around some. A good friend of mine has proven a slayer 'god' wrong a couple times in the chat, and then the followers of this god came and called my friend a troll (which to be honest, he comes across as one on occasion), but he isn't out to cause havoc, he just humbles people a little, which is easy to do if they are on a high and mighty horse. Also, there are 3-4 unranked kickers in the nest all the time, those that constantly say "inb4 kick" or "kick pls", can we not let the ranks do their jobs, and if they aren't paying attention, quietly notify them of a problem over pm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For any additions/changes
Edit #2 - Spelling/Grammer fixes
Back to top Go down
pepsi
Kurask
pepsi

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:54 pm

"Pepsi's musings to mudd's musings"

The elitist nest- well unfortunately, this is just how some people are. While this also bugs me personally, what can we really do about it? I hope it changes, but it's not like we can tell people to stop, as I'm sure most are guilty of it at one time or another, myself included. I hope it doesn't Prevent lower levels from celebrating their lvl ups, as I and I know several others will still offer the praise they deserve.

-ranks-well all I can say is I wasn't there so I cant have a full opinion. One thing I can say is, we are all human. if others can get away with a warning, can't we give a gen one? I'm trying not to be biased about this and sorry if I am.

-self-worshiping- as with the first subject, I'm afraid that this is just how some people are. Not a whole hunch to say about it. With the citadel being implemented in the nest, maybe some like this will change? Give more of a feeling of teamwork rather than self growth?

-suck ups- this one a couldn't agree more with. Not only is it annoying, but it often causes more problems than the original. Sometimes these people are called out, but there is a complicated side effect. When they are called Out, it sometimes causes even more problems. Some don't understand what they are doing, then they become th problem when they are told to stop protecting ranks. It may look like ranks are favoring them but it's not the case. This subject also includes how I feel about nonranks moderating. Can often cause more trouble than its worth.

Many good points here, not a lot we can do about most. Most problems are more within select individuals than the nest as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Wanahunuluge
Grifolaroo
Wanahunuluge

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 am

The nest falls apart when it comes to the swearing rule.

I've always been told they can swear just not at people. However some capts+ say they cant. Which its like wtf, do i warn or not.
Back to top Go down
weets
Spiritual Warrior
weets

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 am

i think we need to have a set rule on swearing... i see some people warning over small swearwords and some people dont care. i personally do not care at all if people swear. as you said as long as its not at another player.
Back to top Go down
Lin
Ice Strykewyrm
Ice Strykewyrm
Lin

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:39 am

One thing I'd like to add is that we seem to be losing the original intentions of the Nest.

Countless times I have seen someone ask for help, only to be greeted with L2... or complete silence.
Perhaps the silence comes from no one actually knowing the answer.. but I try to at least direct them to the location where they can get an answer (runewiki for instance) instead to leaving them hanging. I myself have asked several things only to have been answered with silence, and I know how discouraging that is. Sure, I could runewiki/google it anytime, but wasn't the original spirit of the Nest to help the community? I wish some Nesters could really think in the other's shoe.

I honestly am sick of seeing L2 or inb4s. Although most inb4s aimed at me are by my close friends and I know that they don't mean harm, I'm sure a player trying something new such as soloing a boss doesn't want to be answered with "inb4youdie".

I hope we can have the encouraging, helpful environment back, where people aren't bashed for sharing their way of doing things. Like Mudd said there are multiple ways to tackle something. Your way =/= the only correct way.

Plus: Agree on clarifying the rule on swearing.

and lastly: off-topic - Arg Mudd's walll of Text!! (Orange on black background hurts my eyes o_O! Lol)
Back to top Go down
Mufc42
Ice Strykewyrm
Ice Strykewyrm
Mufc42

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:04 am

- Elitist nest - I understand wanting to be given praise for what we have done, but has it gone overboard? You're going to get 99 in a skill, good for you, go get it, but do i need constant reminders, no i don't, by this i mean, "halfway from 95 to 96", "96!!!" "third to 97" " 2/3rds to 97!" "97!!!", or even the 100kexp updates I've seen on the rare occasion. Is it really nessacry to let everyone know 2-3 times a day we have certian/multiple 99's either. This nest was meant to help and accept all, but les and less i see lower leveled people saying or even being praised for their efforts. Is there a way we can still let others know our progress without it making others feel their accomplishments are less or not worthy?

I 100% agree with is and do my best to congratulate everyone on any level achieved. I had a big argument with Ryank 7 about his attitudes towards lower level players gaining levels as he was telling them (example) Lol thats nothing, that's not even an achievement. I did subsequently kick for his remarks about it. I think of it like.. i was there before, and i felt i had achieved something.

- Ranks - I am not here to bash ranks, but a couple behaviors by some are concerning. In a recent complaint a couple gens took to saying swearing is inexcusable, which i agree with. The problem I have with this is about half a week ago, one of these very gens (which will remain unnamed unless they contradict me) wrote two simple lines in chat "Excuse my language" "*", well, I can't write the second line as it would break the language rule 3-4 times with a certian 4 letter f word. If ranks want to see certian behavior out of us, they because of their position bear the weight of an example. Also, I know ranks have responsiblities they attend to, but would it be possible for them to socialize with nesters more? Maybe I am just on at the wrong times of the day but there are several capts+ who can be see in the nest, but never heard from. I don't expect huge amounts of socialization, but could 5 minutes now and then hurt?

All ranks have there own opinions, and Swearing is a diffcult situation to deal with. Since jagex made it "legal" to swear on Runescape, we have found it difficult to deal with. Not everyone agrees with this, but its how I deal with it, and i said it many times before. Swearing is Ok as long as it isn'd aimed at someone to insult them, or isn't excessive swearing (i.e F--- F--- F---! Lost my F---ing Rapier to some S---ty smiter). I believe in the event you are describing above it was me who said "excuse my language" but cant remember what i said after.
Back to top Go down
Ziksy
Abyssal Demon
Ziksy

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 6:26 pm

- I agree, more and more only few people in chat get congrats for level-up; where lower level-ups gets less attention (if not none) and are not so welcomed.
I think every level-up should be noticed, and replyed at.

Didn't have any problems with Ranks so far (Smile), only what I find disturbing is, too many Silver/Gold stars keeping their Private chat on Friends or Off - at some points it's hard to get their attention.
And I also believe some newcomers would like to get some informations and can't.

- Self-worshiping - This is a tricky one of where certian lines are, as my old 'tyrant personality' may be considered part of this. There is always a fine line of helping others and fending for yourself. You don't want to spend hours running around to help others, or wasting all of certian aspects to do so, but is it possible that only helping others where it profits you is not enough? How many people will only help with an effigy if it gets them experience they need? Is it possible for them that if they get a lvl 95 effigy assist, the remaining 5k exp they have left to do any effigy they have? That extra 5k runecraft exp you lose out on going to set you back that much? Also, does everything that you don't do need to be put on a lower tier? Type A way of lvling a skill may be faster than type B and C, but does that mean everyine should be doing it that way? Is the only correct way to level combat through slayer? Or by gosh, is there someone who wants to do it a different way!!
I agree. Not enough people is ready to help, but I'm fine with that. I help when I can and how I can; but who doesn't want to help, won't get assisted either.

Back to top Go down
Hopalong
Soulgazer
Hopalong

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 4:21 am

I agree partially with mudd here. We DO need to encourage people being supportive of others, otherwise how can we maintain being a community? This simple fact though, this is dependent on the ranks being responsible enough to set an example to everyone else, which is where we're failing. Now I know I've been grumpy at times and not the most cooperative, hell I've started problems over little minor disputes. But as I said before, this isn't on just me, it's on all of us to inspire the rest of the nest to be a supportive community. And yes some of us do need a little whack in the head some of the time when we go over the top and told "Hey stop being such an ass and help out, that's what we're all in this community for." Still, some of us need to act like responsible adults, and know when a "discussion" turns into flaming. I'm not saying that you can't debate anything, but come on, everyone knows when it turns from a friendly debate to a flamewar. Also, I'm not saying this will fix it totally, but it would make the nest that much better. And I'm definitely not saying that everything needs to be strictly business. You ca But being mindful that the Capts and Gens know what they're doing, and have thought most of that situation out. Blah blah blah.

Short and sweet what Mudd is asking for is for the nest to step from this phase of slight immaturity to a more mature and responsive community. It can happen, but it starts at the very basic level. YOU. Our members.
Back to top Go down
Ziksy
Abyssal Demon
Ziksy

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:38 am

Hopology wrote:
I agree partially with mudd here. We DO need to encourage people being supportive of others, otherwise how can we maintain being a community? This simple fact though, this is dependent on the ranks being responsible enough to set an example to everyone else, which is where we're failing. Now I know I've been grumpy at times and not the most cooperative, hell I've started problems over little minor disputes. But as I said before, this isn't on just me, it's on all of us to inspire the rest of the nest to be a supportive community. And yes some of us do need a little whack in the head some of the time when we go over the top and told "Hey stop being such an ass and help out, that's what we're all in this community for." Still, some of us need to act like responsible adults, and know when a "discussion" turns into flaming. I'm not saying that you can't debate anything, but come on, everyone knows when it turns from a friendly debate to a flamewar. Also, I'm not saying this will fix it totally, but it would make the nest that much better. And I'm definitely not saying that everything needs to be strictly business. You ca But being mindful that the Capts and Gens know what they're doing, and have thought most of that situation out. Blah blah blah.

Short and sweet what Mudd is asking for is for the nest to step from this phase of slight immaturity to a more mature and responsive community. It can happen, but it starts at the very basic level. YOU. Our members.

I agree, till the last line.
"It can happen, but it starts at the very basic level. Ranks."

Otherwise, yes - a lot of the time it happens that only small group of people are discussing, anyway because they're only ones who wish to talk, or they exclude others from the discussion (flamming, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Roving bob
Molanisk
Roving bob

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

And usually when they're having their "debates" someone asks a question and gets ignored. You may be having a conversation with someone else but that doesn't mean you can't be helpful. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ziksy
Abyssal Demon
Ziksy

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Roving bob wrote:
And usually when they're having their "debates" someone asks a question and gets ignored. You may be having a conversation with someone else but that doesn't mean you can't be helpful. Neutral

Amen.
Back to top Go down
budlightlyme
Basilisk
budlightlyme

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 pm

bud>mudd nuff said
Back to top Go down

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:15 pm

you obviously just finished drinking that beer in your hand when you said that
Back to top Go down
budlightlyme
Basilisk
budlightlyme

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 pm

me drink?! never1
Back to top Go down
Thedark Army
Mogre
Thedark Army

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 am

There is only a few things that annoy me in the nest... People who think, and rate themselves higher then everyone else... I know of 1 that comes to mind, but I won't mention them because it does not matter who it is, though it does occur from others. With these people thinking they are all high and mighty, they often put down other members which is not what the nest is about. Yeah, you might be great at doing something, but why boast and make others feel like they are useless at it. This probably falls under a category, but I just skimmed a few paragraphs.

Swearing doesn't bother me, but theres a time and a place. Out of pure frustration with something that has happened, whether it is a death or something alike, apart from that, why swear? It doesn't make you 'cool'. If it is targetted at someone, then to me that is a definate wrong.

That is just my useless 2 cents worth which doesn't matter to most people.
Back to top Go down
Gan_real
Kurask
Gan_real

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 am

Alejandrooo wrote:
There is only a few things that annoy me in the nest... People who think, and rate themselves higher then everyone else... I know of 1 that comes to mind, but I won't mention them because it does not matter who it is, though it does occur from others. With these people thinking they are all high and mighty, they often put down other members which is not what the nest is about. Yeah, you might be great at doing something, but why boast and make others feel like they are useless at it. This probably falls under a category, but I just skimmed a few paragraphs.

Swearing doesn't bother me, but theres a time and a place. Out of pure frustration with something that has happened, whether it is a death or something alike, apart from that, why swear? It doesn't make you 'cool'. If it is targetted at someone, then to me that is a definate wrong.

That is just my useless 2 cents worth which doesn't matter to most people.

Sad I know but this is life not just in the nest but the real world also. Seems there are people out there that lack the social skills to get along with others.
Back to top Go down
https://slayernest.forumotion.com
Thedark Army
Mogre
Thedark Army

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 am

It is, it seems to me no one seems to think respect means a thing, while it really means alot. Respect to one another is a big thing to me :\
Back to top Go down
CookieSlay3r
Soulgazer
CookieSlay3r

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm

^all valid points and i agree that people saying l2dung kid and you f***ing idiot learn how to do this boss when i had never done it before......is highly inappropriate and this happened to me just yesterday on thunderous in a nestie dung. And i agree with all of mudd's points people in nest 2 years ago would help if u just asked as much as they could. But today u ask and get shot down or they just troll you. And i rarely see any gens+captains talk in clan chat......i see bronze talk all the time. I'm just worried about the nest Sad
Back to top Go down
budlightlyme
Basilisk
budlightlyme

Mudd's musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mudd's musings   Mudd's musings EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

cause we bronze rule the nest
Back to top Go down
CookieSlay3r
Soulgazer
CookieSlay3r

Mudd's musings Empty